Antw: Re: Sociolinguistics Symposium 14 and the standardisation of sign languages

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Wed Aug 29 11:10:31 UTC 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Franz Dotter wrote:

> In any case, there is some truth in the demands and we should deal
> with them with respect to the linguistic identity of the sign language
> community.

        Hm.  I'm open to that possibility, but at this point I don't see
it.  Is it because they want to have a terminology list to give teachers
and interpreters, and they have difficulty with the idea that the list
might contain different signs for different regions or social classes?

--
                                -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                Linguistics Department
                                grvsmth at unm.edu