"signing avatars" and other machine interpretation projects

Karlin, Ben mfkarlb at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US
Wed Aug 29 15:03:14 UTC 2001

I don't think that the signing avatar projects (I am told there are several
in scattered places around the globe including a premiere one in Hamburg)
are based on "Sign is Easy."  From what I have seen they are early attempts
to push technology in all directions.  They marry machine translation,
gesture and speech recognition, video and graphics processing (polygamous
marriage, here) in  an attempt to meet a need.  Some are driven by
economics, others by intellect, others by altruism but my experience has not
been that these are the projects that denigrate signed languages.

My interest in following the projects is that they attempt to codify what
interpreting is.  I am not a linguist but an interpreter and find the cries
for professionalization in my field premature as there is still no good
description of what our work is.  If, by applying flow charts to it, these
folks are able to help us standardize good practices, more power to them.

Ben Karlin <mfkarlb at mail.dmh.state.mo.us>
Lic. Interpreter, St. Louis Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of my employer or
the Missouri Dept. of Mental Health