query: relationships between sign languages

Trude Schermer trude.schermer at INTER.NL.NET
Sun Dec 9 15:08:36 UTC 2001

Hi Angus,
No one really wins; we have a set of criteria and sometimes the northern
variety is chosen and other times the western/southern variety. At the end
of the project we will count the number of northerm signs chosen versus the
rest. I will let you know by then, ok?

trude

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages.
[mailto:SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]Namens Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Verzonden: vrijdag 7 december 2001 0:51
Aan: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Onderwerp: Re: query: relationships between sign languages

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Trude Schermer wrote:

> The lexicon of the Northern variety of Sign Language of the
> Netherlands has some links with French Sign language lexicon and hence
> ASL, due to the fact that the founder of the school for the deaf in
> the Northern part of Holland (Guyot School) went to visit de lÉpee in
> Paris. He returned to Holland with new ideas about deaf education but
> also with signs that he learned during his stay in Paris.

        Thanks, Trude, for this information.  I'm interested in how it
fits in with our earlier discussion on standardization.  When there's a
difference between the Northern and Southern varieties, which one wins?

--
                                -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                Linguistics Department
                                grvsmth at unm.edu