Hello from a cold and wet Bristol

Felix Sze felixsze at YAHOO.COM.HK
Mon Dec 10 02:09:48 UTC 2001

Dear Adam,

I am so glad to hear that you have finished your Ph.D
thesis.  Now you can concentrate more on your work.
But it is indeed sad to know that you are leaving
Bristol in 2002. Hopefully I can go back to Bristol
for one month or two  in late 2001 to refresh myself
and see you there.

I am still helping Gladys with her HKSL dictionary. As
I am now working full-time, I don't have much time
left for  my thesis. To be honest, I find it quite
hard to strike a balance between my work, my study and
my family. Once the dictionary is finished, however, I
will work part-time  and hopefully the situation will
be better.

I think it will take at least two more years for me to
finish my thesis. That means I won't be able to finish
my thesis before you leave. Do you think I will have
any problem getting supervision?

With regard to your question on the character 'person'
in Chinese, it is true that we have a corresponding
sign in HKSL. It is made by pointing the right index
finger against the middle of the left index finger.
But it is a sign rather than a classifier. In
addition, when asked about the meaning of the
Y-classifier, HK signers never relate it to the person
character in Chinese.

Best wishes to your job.

Felix

--- "Adam Schembri, Deaf Studies"
<Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK>  ºÙü_Ý4šÙ>Þ/« > Felix,