Upper ASCII and email

Ulrike Zeshan ulrike_zeshan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 14 14:42:52 UTC 2001

> Question for Ulrike: what does the Turkish sign for SIGN look like?

The sign SIGN consists of rubbing two 5-hands together in alternating
circular motion with the palms and fingers touching each other and the
active hand on top of the passive hand. It is thus sonewhat similar to
a common sign for SIGN used in Europe and also India, which has two
alternately circling 5-hands, but not touching, and parallel rather
than one on top of the other.

Maybe I should point out as a clarification that Turk Isaret Dili is
not my own term but has been brought up by my Turkish colleagues (my
own Turkish is not very good...) I remember we had a similar discussion
about names some time ago on this list, there are really a lot of
issues here. In India, I am forced to talk about Indian Sign Language
rather than Indo-Pakistani for political reasons...

Greetings,

Ulrike

=====
Dr. Ulrike Zeshan
Research Centre for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study
La Trobe University VIC 3086, Australia
ph.: +61-3-94673084, fax: +61-3-94673053
e-mail: u.zeshan at latrobe.edu.au, ulrike_zeshan at yahoo.com