AUSLAN Past/Present tense forms

Theresa Smith tbsmith at ESKIMO.COM
Wed Feb 21 17:45:15 UTC 2001

Hi Don,

I'm responding to your number 2 comment about "finish".  Perhaps I'm being
overly sensitive and reading too much into your comment (because I realize it
was not focused on ASL).  Yes, a Signer can use the Sign glossed "finish" to
clarify that s/he was talking about something in the past but

1.  "finish" is not a past tense marker - it's a much richer lexical item than
that
2.  time in ASL is communicated at the discourse level, not the lexical level -
which is probably what you were saying in the first place - the timeframe is
established within the discourse not by tense

Theresa
Theresa B. Smith
ASLIS