Words

Dave and Andrea herbs and pots daveandandrea at HERBSANDPOTS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Jan 30 10:06:48 UTC 2001

Does anyone know if there are any sign equivalents of the following words.  I have looked them up in the British sign language dictionary and can't find them in there.

Groan
Whoop
Polka
siren
fluke
flake
brawl
nymph
prune
shrub
mince
tonic
ghoul
annex
ether
vigil
waltz
tunic
perch
crypt
jewel
cedar
sneer
hyena
flora
gnome
friar
gauze
dozen
scene
chain
spite
youth
novel
tramp
prank
graft

If they don't know them at the same time as chronological age matched hearing people why would this be?

Also, if deaf people do know these words and they do not have a sign equivalent for them how would they communicate them, through finger-spelling?  Is this the only way they can other than writing them down?  If they do know them how would they have learnt them?

Can anyone refer me to any work done in this area?

I would be very grateful for any correspondence.

Thanks

Andrea Potter