Interpreting Practice

Karlin, Ben mfkarlb at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US
Tue Jul 3 18:18:45 UTC 2001

Give me a little time to get around to my point, if you don't mind.  Will
try to limit the rambling.  I am broaching this topic here because I don't
know where else to get an intelligent discussion that does not break down
into flames rapidly.

Sign language interpreters here in the U.S. typically will take time to meet
with a Deaf consumer before interpreting between "sign" and voice.  Several
who I have asked say it allows them to 'assess language preferences' or
'language use' of the consumer.  Aside from most interpreters not being
trained to assess language, I wonder about the impact.

Does this help perpetuate the idea that ASL (which is a real language) is
only on a par with the various codes used to try to represent English?

That's the big question I have about it just now.  Do other countries have
non-linguistic codes to represent the majority spoken languages?

Ben Karlin <mfkarlb at mail.dmh.state.mo.us>
Lic. Interpreter, St. Louis Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of my employer or
the Missouri Dept. of Mental Health