ASL for infants

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Mon Mar 19 17:38:19 UTC 2001

> I'm not aware of any claims that specifically suggest signed *languages* are
> the evolutionary precursors to spoken languages. Got a reference for me?

Oops, thanks for catching me on that. "Gesture." I meant "Gesture."

However, since this is all in the realm of speculation ~anyway~, what's to
say that there wasn't a kind of proto-language? And even if there wasn't,
chances are the only people who are confusing "Infant ASL" with real,
honest-to-Baal language are the folks in the media.

Cheers,

Dan.