baby signing

Carol Padden cpadden at UCSD.EDU
Tue Mar 20 15:00:13 UTC 2001

In an odd way, you could say that the desire to get hearing babies to
communicate
early is the same desire to get deaf children to speak - muteness is
upsetting, and
should be corrected with intervention.  Hearing babies should be taught to
sign though
the prospect of them signing for the rest of their lives might not be good,
and deaf
babies should be taught to speak though the prospect of them speaking for
the rest of
their lives might not be good either.

I agree that it is an unusual development of events -- this interest in
teaching hearing
babies to sign -- and that it might not be what it seems on the surface.

Carol Padden