ASL for infants

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Mar 20 18:10:47 UTC 2001

David Corina writes:

I fear this "flip of sign persepective" in infants signing is actually
very rare. We should be careful not to raise anecdotal observation to the
level of urban myth (on par with the "early *linguistic* advantage of
sign!). While we have the one published report of Petitto describing the
case of the 1st person pronouns (whose semantics certainly tax cognitive
mappings), to say this is "easily observed and well attested" is likely an
overstatement.

I'd be interested to hear otherwise. My impression is this is more common
in adult new students of sign language but not in infants.
<<<<<

I'll be very happy to have my mistake corrected, if mistake it is. I have
not been active in SL research for many years.

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com