invented baby signing

Carolyn L. Ostrander clostran at MAILBOX.SYR.EDU
Tue Mar 20 23:01:23 UTC 2001

It seems to me that all children create nonce words to name important
concepts. Consider how many children name their favorite item (a blanket,
pacifier, or toy) in a surprising way, and how many times they persist
until other people give in and use this name too. In a way you could
consider home signs to be this process, with all the shared, learned items
that originate from other people stripped away.

Carolyn Ostrander