Q: ASL -TEEN numerals

m bennett cyberfibro at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 16 20:58:01 UTC 2001

For ASL I have seen both the compound (TEN^SIX, etc) and the "rubbing"
variants in Austin, Texas, and I believe I first encountered the "shaking"
variants in Northfield, Minnesota, although that was not the only variant
used there.  However, I have seen all three variants used interchangeably in
Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.  Please note that I am a hearing signer
currently enrolled in an interpreter training program in St. Paul.

For the rubbing form I am familiar with, it is the non-thumb that does the
rubbing for all teen numbers, while the thumb acts as the base.  The side of
the finger closest to the thumb, near the first knuckle/beside the
fingernail, rubs up and down at the fingerprint area of the thumb. Palm out,
fingertips pointing upward, or slightly outward-diagonal upward.

Hope this helps,

Marisa Bennett

> [...]
>
>This is different from the LSQ (Quebec SL) signs for these numbers. While
>the LSQ number system is basically the same as that in ASL, compound
>numbers (i.e. those beyond TEN) are often slightly different from those in
>ASL, due to different phonological changes in the two languages. In LSQ,
>the -TEEN numbers are made with a repeated (oscillating) movement and the
>/A/ handshape assimilates to the handshape for SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT and NINE,
>  respectively. In other words, more or less, these signs are made with an
>outward twisting movement of the handshapes for SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT and NINE.
>
>Apparently, ASL also has a second way of signing the -TEEN numerals. I have
>never seen this personally, but I have seen it mentioned in a couple of
>publications, and even in an LSQ dictionary although LSQ signers I have
>talked to said these are definitely ASL and not LSQ numbers.
>
>These variants are made with a rubbing motion involving the thumb and the
>whichever finger is bent in the SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT and NINE handshapes (that
>is, the pinky, ring, middle and index, respectively). Only one (base)
>  handshape, as in LSQ, and no change of orientation like we find in the
>standard ASL and LSQ -TEEN signs.
>
>This is as much as I know (or think I know). I am hoping that someone who
>actually sees and/or uses these forms on a (more or less) regular basis can
>give me some information about the following questions:
>
>1.      Where are these variants used, i.e. what regions of the US (or
>Canada?) And are these the *only* way to sign these numerals in a
>particular region or are the more "standard" forms also used? Do you feel
>that particular groups of people prefer these rubbing variants? (For
>example older/younger signers, more/less educated, different ethnic origins
>etc.)
>
>2.      How *exactly* are these variants signed?
>        a.      Does the thumb do the rubbing, with the finger staying
>still?
>or      b.      Does the finger do the rubbing, with the thumb staying
>still?
>or      c.      Do they *both* rub together, neither staying still?
>or      d.      Does it differ depending on which finger is involved?
>                (I find it harder to make my pinky rub against my thumb,
>for example.)
>
>3.      Which way does the repeated rubbing move?
>        a.      Toward the base of the finger/thumb, repeated.
>        b.      Toward the tip of the finger/thumb, repeated.
>        c.      Back and forth, repeated, neither direction more
>emphasised.
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help me  p  I will post a summary for everyone's
>information.
>
>Chris Miller
>
> æ  Christopher Miller
> æ  Adjunct professor
> æ  Department of linguistics and language teaching
> æ  Universit Z  du Qu }Ü ec  \  Montr }ß l
> æ  Box 8888,  œë entre-Ville m  Postal Station

æ æ  +1 514 987-3000 x 2361 (voice)