request for materials

m bennett cyberfibro at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 30 22:57:51 UTC 2001

For info about why ASL should be accepted as a foreign language and to see a
list of colleges and universities who have made that decision, see the
following site by Sherman Wilcox

http://www.unm.edu/~wilcox/ASLFL/asl_fl.html

You may also want to consult the American Sign Language Teachers Association
http://www.aslta.org/
especially their resource page at
http://www.aslta.org/national/resource/index.html

Marisa Bennett
interpreting student

>From: Christopher Miller <miller.christopher at UQAM.CA>
>To: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
>Subject: request for materials
>Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:20:20 -0400
>
>I'm passing on a request which was originally posted to the LINGUIST
>bulletin board, from an individual who is moving to a new position at
>Georgia College in Milledgeville, GA and is looking for books or articles
>on ASL linguistics. The position she is taking up is an English Linguistics
>position, but she is interested in moving into ASL linguistics as well.
>(She has "written and presented a paper about signs changing due to the
>pressures of political correctness" though her work is still at a
>preliminary stage.) Unfortunately, according to her, the dean of the
>department is strongly opposed to teaching ASL as a foreign language.
>
>She says, "the ling notice board message that I posted was an attempt to
>locate and buy any ASL or SL texts which someone might be getting rid of
>(lack of interest, lack of space, retiring, etc.)  The library at Georgia
>College is abysmal, and with the Dean dead set against studying and
>teaching ASL, I probably won't get funds to purchase any books relating to
>it."
>
>If anyone thinks they can in any way help her out, please contact her at:
>
>"Megan E Melancon" <mmelan2 at lsu.edu>
>

> æ  Christopher Miller
> æ  Adjunct professor
> æ  Department of linguistics and language teaching
> æ  Universit Z  du Qu }Ü ec  \  Montr }ß l
> æ  Box 8888,  œë entre-Ville m  Postal Station
> æ  Montreal QC H3C 3P8
> æ  Canada

æ æ  +1 514 987-3000 x 2361 (voice)