Metathesis in signs/motor economy

Onno Crasborn o.a.crasborn at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Oct 18 11:13:21 UTC 2001

Mark Mandel wrote:

>  The statistical correlation in the entries of Stokoe,
>Casterline, & Croneberg's _Dictionary of American Sign Language_ between
>palmward hand movement and finger extension, and dorsad hand movement and
>finger flexion, is overwhelming. I think the paper was published somewhere
>but I can't recall where.

:-)

--> Sign Language Studies 24:215-229 (1979) "Natural constraints in
sign language phonology: data from anatomy".

For a general discussion of motor economy in speech, one could look
at work of Björn Lindblom, for example:
* 1983 Economy of speech gestures, in Peter MacNeilage, ed. "The
production of speech". New York: Springer. Pp. 217-245.
* 1990 Explaining phonetic variation: a sketch of the H&H theory. In
Hardcastle & Marchal, eds "Speech production and speech modelling".
Dordrecht: Kluwer.

Best,

Onno

  Onno Crasborn