an offer of college info

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Sep 26 13:29:04 UTC 2001

A correspondent sent me the following letter. I am posting it here with her
permission, edited to preserve her privacy. If you are interested in her
offer of information, write to me and I will put you in touch with her.

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com

Knowing of your dissertation subject and interest in ASL, I'd like to pass
on a brief bit of info to you since you may still be in contact with
members of the deaf community.

My daughter, who is severely hearing impaired, attends L.S.U. in Baton
Rouge.  The department of disability services offers a significant level of
assistance to hearing impaired/deaf students that far exceeds most
institutions (with the obvious exceptions of NTID and Gallaudet.)  It is
also reasonably priced for out of state students.

[She] has auditioned and been accepted into an improv comedy troupe in the
drama department, and she has been nominated for president of a
professional fraternity for marketing & public relations majors.  This
speaks well of the receptive nature of the campus, not to mention her
obvious talents in communication.

In any event, should you know of any deaf/hoh individuals who are looking
at avenues for higher education, please feel free to send them my way.  I
know the individuals from whom they could immediately get answers, and it
would be a pleasure to facilitate.