sign databases

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Tue Aug 6 15:43:16 UTC 2002

> Does anyone have or know about any transcription of some or all of
> the Stokoe Casterline and Croneberg ASL dictionary (DASL) into
> something that is machine readable, so that one could get frequency
> counts of handshapes, places, etc.?  Is anyone aware of any other
> phonetic or phonological sign language database of any sign language?
> I am aware of the SignPhon database for SLN, but not of any other.

Mark Mandel had transcribed the dictionary into an ASCII version of
Stokoe notation, but at last exchange, what he had was not currently
machine-readable. I can't remember why, though. If it's a matter of
technology, perhaps someone has an old tape drive or something on
campus. If not, there's always scanning.

There's also the large database of signs in the SingWriting database.
There are utilities to convert that to an XML-style document. From that
point, hacking a little Perl to count things like  handshapes and
movement would be possible; contact and location would be trickier
(several of us here can help with that, or there might be someone closer
to you).

Cheers,

Dan.