Movement Research in ASL

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Tue Aug 6 16:04:18 UTC 2002

> Your model sounds interesting.  Can you explain "tract variables"?

Here's a horse's-mouth explanation which is bound to do a better job
than anything I could write:

http://www.haskins.yale.edu/Haskins/MISC/RESEARCH/GesturalModel.html

> More degrees of freedom than what?

Spoken languages. More stuff moves, and it moves in more complex ways.

> Can you explain a little more what you are doing?  What is the goal for
> an articulatory model?  For machine sign production?

At this point, I just want a more down-to-the-metal feel for how the
machine works. Until I grok that a little better, I don't feel
comfortable talking about segments and syllables at all. So rather than
naysay all the really good work out there that does involve more levels
of representation than I'd like, I'm trying to figure out if using an
articulatory/gestural model is even possible here.

Cheers,

Dan.