Have and BE verbs

Adam Schembri, Deaf Studies Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Tue Feb 5 14:23:54 UTC 2002

James,
I have checked in the Brien (Ed.) (1992) 'Dictionary of BSL/English'
for the sign you mention using a repeated movement and a hand
configuration more like an E handshape (the citation form of HAVE is
usually a 5 closing to an S in a single movement). According to the
deaf native signer with whom I share my office, this variant is used
for emphasis, but does not appear to differ in meaning (i.e., it can
be both possessive and existential). Perhaps the distinction
described in Brien (1992) is a dialectal one. There are a number of
other deaf native signers here at CDS from different parts of the UK,
so I'll ask around.
Adam

----------------------
Adam Schembri