Have and BE verbs

Ulrike Zeshan u.zeshan at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue Feb 5 23:13:28 UTC 2002

I would be very interested to see a confirmed case of a sign language that
does NOT have any existential particles because I have not found any among
the about-35 sign languages in my typological corpus. Conversely, I have
also not seen a confirmed case of a sign language copula. Why would the
existentials be so important and the copula so unimportant in sign
languages I wonder...?

Have you noticed that positive and negative existentials are very often
suppletive forms, that is, they look entirely different, like Turkish SL
signs VAR (EXIST) and YOK (NOT-EXIST), Lebanese signs FI (EXIST) and MA-FI
(NOT-EXIST). They also overwhelmingly express possession, as in

(from Lebanon)
MASARE MA-FI
money  not-exist
(I) have no money

(from Turkey)
SEN ARABA VAR?
you car   exist
Do you have a car?

I wonder how many of the signs usually transcribed HAVE should actually be
transcribed EXIST. The strong connection between existentials and
possessives is common in spoken languaes as well.

Ulrike Zeshan

Dr. Ulrike Zeshan
Research Centre for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study