External phonological change

Adam Schembri, Deaf Studies Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Wed Feb 6 10:38:25 UTC 2002

Pip,

Thanks for this message - very interesting stuff!

Let me clarify: I am interested in phonological change of the kind
I've seen in BSL where the Middle Finger handshape has been
systematically replaced in a small set of signs by the G handshape.
The examples you mention represent lexical change. The lexical variant
you mention for LAZY is not one I have seen widely used in the Sydney
deaf community, although the sign HOLIDAY with a 5 handshape does
co-exist in Sydney with the variant using a Middle Finger handshape.

Nevertheless, you're right to point out that I ought not create the
impression that Auslan is not influenced by similar social pressures.
I have research data collected from 8 deaf native signers from
Melbourne signing with a deaf native signer co-researcher, and the use
of the Middle Finger handshape in the sign for ROCKET occurs in this
context. I think, however, you've drawn my attention to something
I've not been really been aware of - the tendency to avoid the use of
signs using the Middle Finger handshape in public discourse. After I
read your email, I checked with my partner (who has far more
experience interpreting in the public domain in Sydney than I do),
and he confirmed that he had avoided or been requested to avoid the
use of Middle Finger handshape signs in certain contexts. So, you're
definitely on to something there. Perhaps we ought to co-operate on
some research when I'm back in Sydney in July!

The interesting difference, however, is that these social pressures
may be causing some degree of lexical change in Auslan, but appear to
have led to some phonological change in BSL.

Cheers,
Adam

----------------------
Adam Schembri