Have and BE verbs

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Thu Feb 7 07:44:45 UTC 2002

> Your second existential is the same I have seen in Lebanon, whereas the
> first one (if I have read it correctly) is sometimes used in Turkey,
> but I
> have not seen it in Lebanon. The positive existential looks unlike the
> one
> used in either Lebanon or Turkey.

The sign glossed NOT-EXIST 2 is a common emblematic gesture used by
hearing people in the Levant for "maa fii" ("Don't have any"), and may
be related to a Neopolitan chin-flick gesture for negation noted by De
Jorio. NOT-EXIST 1 which doesn't have a is used far more often; I need
to see if there is some sort of systemic variation.

> I couldn't figure out this sign. Can you give a decscription in words?
> (Also for the positive existential).

EXIST: index finger pointing while mouthing the words "fififi" a few
times.
The unglossed sign: A hand, palm facing the person (or the locus in sign
space for the person).

> I think it would be very beneficial, at some stage, if we could exchange
> data among people working in that region i.e. Greece, Arab countries,
> Turkey, Israel, and Iran (if anyone has looked at the latter at all?).

Iran: I have some glossaries published by the government. What I *ought*
to do is head for Southern California (they don't call it "Tehrangeles"
for nothing!).

> I remember your comment about the 'Sprachbund' in part of this area
> some time
> ago. The sign language in Lebanon is about halfway similar to the one in
> Turkey, but is definitely a different language. But at present I am not
> even sure whether it is right to refer to 'Lughat al-Isharat
> al-Lubnaniyya'
> (Lebanese Sign Language) because Lebanon may share its sign language
> with
> other Arab countries nearby. What do you think (and other concerned
> people)?

I've heard that there is a large shared vocabulary in the Levant and
Iraq (and possibly Saudi Arabia).  What is needed is some preliminary
work to confirm this. It's time I went on another trip... want to
come? :-)

As for "Lughat ul-Ishaarat il-waTaniyyaa": Absent an Arabic word for
"lect" (not "laHja"!), I'm okay with keeping that kind of label.

Cheers,

Dan.