Job announcement

Grushkin, Donald A. grushkind at CSUS.EDU
Tue Feb 12 17:59:11 UTC 2002

I am the coordinator of the ASL program here at CSU-Sacramento.  Despite the
budget problems in California, we were lucky to get approval for a
full-time, tenure track ASL faculty position.  I am posting the announcement
below (if you want a "clean copy" in the form of an attachment, let me know
-- it is also posted on our departmental website, given below).  I hope any
of you who might be qualified will consider applying for the position, or
let your friends and colleagues who could be qualified for it know about the
opening.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly at:
grushkind at csus.edu.

Below is the full text of the job announcement.

Donald A. Grushkin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor/Coordinator, ASL Program
Eureka Hall Rm. 312 (Campus Zip # 6079)
California State University, Sacramento 95819
(916) 278-6622 Voice; 278-3465 TTY

ANNOUNCEMENT OF A VACANCY
TENURE-TRACK OR LECTURER POSITION
IN AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
Beginning Fall Semester 2002
(Website: http://edweb.csus.edu)
________________________________________________________________________ No.
82
California State University, Sacramento (CSUS) invites applications from
individuals interested in joining our dynamic and growing faculty.  With a
current student population in excess of 25,000, CSUS, the capital University
is one of the larger campuses in the 23 campus California State University
system, the largest system of higher education in the nation.  The
University is organized around seven colleges.  There are approximately
1,400 faculty who provide programs of instruction leading towards bachelor's
degrees in 60 disciplines, master's degrees in
40 disciplines and one joint doctoral program.

Sacramento is a high growth metropolitan area with a population of
approximately 1.7 million.  As California's capital, Sacramento is an
advantageous setting for premier academic programs.  As a major metropolitan
University, CSUS is committed to providing leadership in addressing
significant regional needs and to enriching our liberal arts tradition.  The
proximity of CSUS to the California legislature and other agencies of state
and federal government provides unparalleled opportunities for faculty and
students to participate in public service through policy research,
internships, and employment.

Minimum Qualifications:

Education:              Earned doctorate, enrolled in a doctoral program or
have completed a Master's degree in Sign Language/Deaf Studies,
Interpreting, Linguistics, Special Education, School Psychology or related
field.  Candidates with a Master's degree only will be appointed as a
Lecturer with possible reappointment for up to 2 years.  For ABD candidates,
the  position is temporary with possible conversion to tenure-track upon
completion of doctorate by December 31, 2003.  An earned doctorate is
required for a tenure-track position.  Assistance for completion of the
doctorate may be available through the CSU Forgivable Loan program.

Special Knowledge       Native or near-native competency in American Sign
Language.  Experience teaching ASL at the college level.

 Abilities/Experience:  Education and training related to ASL, the Deaf
community and its culture.  Must be able
                                        to teach American Sign Language and
related coursework.  Sensitivity to and
                                        understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic
                                        backgrounds of California college
students.  Curriculum development experience
                                        preferred.

Tenure-track or Lecturer Position of American Sign Language
Position No.  82

Assignment:

        Duties will consist of teaching in a large program of Beginning,
Intermediate and Advanced ASL classes that lead to a certificate.
Assignment will include collaborating in the development of an ASL
laboratory and the opportunity to develop other classes related to the
culture of deafness for eventual development of a Bachelor's degree in
ASL/Deaf Studies, Interpreting, or other related fields.  May be asked to
teach evenings and/or weekends.

        Maintaining regular and close contact with the deaf community and
community colleges in the college service area as related to the curriculum
is required.

        Responsibilities also include student advising, faculty committee
participation, ongoing scholarly activity and community involvement.

Appointment/Salary:  Tenure-track Assistant Professor level if candidate
possesses required earned doctorate; Lecturer level if candidate possess MA
or ABD.  The position may be converted to tenure track if the doctorate is
completed by December 31, 2003.  Salary negotiable based on experience and
qualifications.

Application:

        Transcripts, vita, three letters of recommendation and a letter of
interest that addresses qualifications outlined in this announcement will be
required.  Applications will be screened continuously beginning December 14,
2001.  Position is open until filled.  Mail your materials to CSU,
Sacramento; College of Education;
        Dr. William Harris, Chair; Department of Special Education,
Rehabilitation, and School Psychology; 6000 J Street; Sacramento, CA
95819-6079.

A successful CSUS faculty member will promote the values of CSUS as a
public, regional, comprehensive, metropolitan university.  The CSUS
Strategic Plan notes that "teaching and learning infuse and motivate all
that we do."  In addition to positive contributions to teaching and
learning, faculty are expected to engage in scholarship and to provide
service to the University and to the greater community.  At CSUS the quality
of the education we provide is our top priority.  Our campus community
represents the broad diversity of our state and we believe that all are
enriched and unified by this diversity.

California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer, and has a strong institutional commitment to the
principle of diversity in all areas.  In that spirit, we are particularly
interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified
people who would assist the University in meeting its Strategic Plan goal of
pluralism: "To develop a campus community whose diversity enriches the lives
of all and whose members develop a strong sense of personal and community
identity as well as mutual respect."  CSUS hires only those individuals who
are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.

In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and
Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has
made crime reporting statistics available on-line at
www.csus.edu/police/SRTKRPT.html <http://www.csus.edu/police/SRTKRPT.html>.
Print copies are available in the library, and by request from the Office of
Public Safety and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.