External phonological change

G Sapountzaki, Deaf Studies Galini.Sapountzaki at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Thu Feb 21 21:14:21 UTC 2002

No refs about research on Greek SL phonology (yet!).

More than once during conversations in Athens, Greece, I was informed
about a GSL negation marker that is now almost extinct. It involves of
the thumb of the dominant hand being inserted and then strongly drawn
away from under the upper front teeth. The Deaf people I was discussing
the matter said that it is a strong and clearcut sign that
unfortunately cannot be used by young Deaf anymore because of behaviour
codes today.

Galini

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:35:21 +0000 "Adam Schembri, Deaf Studies"
<Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK> wrote:

> I have seen a number of studies that discuss phonological change in
> signed languages due to language internal factors (e.g., physiological
> factors, such as the constraints of production and perception). Is
> anyone aware of papers that discuss phonological changes in signed
> languages due to language external (e.g., social) factors?
>
> In BSL (British Sign Language), a small number of signs appeared to
> be experiencing a change in hand configuration due to social factors.
> Traditional variants of signs such as HOLIDAY or MOCK used a
> handshape with only the middle finger extended. Due to the perception
> that this handshape is considered impolite, some signers have
> replaced the hand configuration in these signs with a G handshape.
> This appears to have happened quite recently, and quite consciously
> amongst sign language teachers in particular, perhaps due to contact
> with hearing students. This change has not yet spread to the related
> sign language Auslan (Australian Sign Language), where all signers
> continue to make liberal use of the middle finger extended handshape
> in signs such as HOLIDAY, STUBBORN, SILLY, LAZY, BETRAY, AVAILABLE
> and ROCKET.
>
> Anyone aware of anything similar in other signed languages? And any
> references which discuss this?
>
> Adam
>
> ----------------------
> Adam Schembri