Non-dominant, one-handed signing

Adam Schembri, Deaf Studies Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Wed Feb 27 17:33:10 UTC 2002

This does indeed happen in BSL and Auslan (it's not just BSL that
uses the two-handed alphabet!) and I have observed it many times in
casual signing in Australia and the UK. Comprehension of the vowels
occurs partially in relation to the other letters, so that if you
produce the X handshape for the dominant hand part of K, you then
point your G hand in the space slightly to the left (for a
right-handed signer) for A, keep it in the same place for E, move
slightly to the right for I and so forth. Of course, contextual clues
come into play, and often this use of the phantom hand co-occurs with
English mouthing as well.

Adam

----------------------
Adam Schembri