South African Sign Languages

Constanze Schmaling constanze.schmaling at SIGN-LANG.UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Wed Jul 31 12:32:52 UTC 2002

Hi Pip,

below are some references on SASL. Hope this helps,

Constanze

Aarons, Debra / Akach, Philemon A. O.: South African Sign Language -
one language or many?A sociolinguistic question. In: Stellenbosch
Papers in Linguistics. 31 (1998) pp. 1-28

Akach, Philemon A. O.: The grammar of sign language. In: Language
Matters. 28 (1997) pp. 7-35

Herbst, J.M.: South African Sign Language. In: Cleve, John V. van
(ed): Gallaudet encyclopedia of deaf people and deafness.  Vol. 3.
S-Z,Index. New York, NY [u.a.] : McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.
(1987) pp. 106-108

Penn, Claire / Reagan, Timothy: The properties of South African Sign
Language: Lexical diversity and syntactic unity. In: Sign Language
Studies. 85 23 (1994) pp. 319-327

Penn, Claire / Reagan, Timothy: How do you sign "apartheid"? The
politics of South African Sign Language. In: Language Problems and
Language Planning. 2 14 (1990) pp. 91-103

Penn, Claire et al: Dictionary of Southern African signs for
communicating with the deaf. 5 vols. : Human Science Research Council
1992-1994

Reagan, Timothy / Penn, Claire: On the other hand: Implications of
the study of South African sign language for the education of the
deaf in South Africa. In: South African Journal of Education. 2 15
(1995) pp. 87

Reynolds, Louise: News from South Africa: Philosophies and practices
in deaf education in the Western Cape, SA. In: Signpost. The
newsletter of the international sign linguistics association. 1-2 8
(1995) pp. 66-71

Simmons, Robert M.T.: The role of educational systems and deaf
culture in the development of sign language in South Africa. In:
Erting, Carol J. et al (eds): The deaf way : perspectives from the
International Conference on Deaf Culture. Washington, DC : Gallaudet
Univ. Press (1994) pp. 78-84

>Hi all,

>Can anyone point me toward some resources on South African Sign
>Languages, please?
>I'm searching, searching, but not having much luck so far.

>Thanks very much,
>Pip

Dr. Constanze Schmaling
Institute of German Sign Language