Movement Research in ASL

RAIN BOSWORTH rainbosworth at CHARTER.NET
Wed Jul 31 17:52:44 UTC 2002

My colleagues and I have taken a purely physical approach
to quantifying various parameters of an image of a signer
(velocity of the hands, spatial frequency of a signed
image, distance of the hands from point of fixation).  Our
purpose is guided by motivation to understand how the
brain computes and analyzes image statistics and to see
whether low level visual perception is altered by exposure
to the image properties of signing.

A chapter with our work is forthcoming in the TISLR
conference proceedings being published by Signum Press.
 This book is titled "Cross-linguistic perspectives in
sign language research. Selected papers from TISLR 2000."

Rain

Rain G. Bosworth, Ph.D.
Retina Foundation of the Southwest
9900 N. Central Expressway, Suite 400