speed of movement in signs

David Corina corina at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Jun 23 18:54:42 UTC 2002

Hello Rain, Susan and Rachel,

I agree with Rachel, that one needs to find if speed is a recurring
and systematic device for *phonological contrasts. Further It seems
the pairs ARRIVE and PROVE has additional phonological differences (which
however may become neurtalized in some contexts). In particular
doesn't ARRIVE have a hand orientation change in the "wind-up" before
contact ? PROVE seems not to need this. Repetition (2X) seems pretty
standard for PROOF, and not ARRIVE. Native inutitions welcome.

best
David Corina