Grammatical Gender in BSL

Susan Fischer fischer at MAIL.RIT.EDU
Mon Jun 24 14:45:46 UTC 2002

To follow up on Ulrike's point, the phenomenon in NS (NihonSyuwa)  is not,
however, grammatical gender in the sense of assigning a near-arbitrary
classification to a noun; rather, the thumbs-up vs. pinkie-up distinction is
limited to  the actual gender of human referents.  Osugi and I call these
Indexical Classifiers, since they often occur where the neutral "person"
classifier would in ASL and other sign languages, and can replace the
referential locus.  According to one Korean linguist whom I met last year,
Korean Sign Language also has similar phenomena (both Korean and Taiwan SLs are
historically related to NS).
Susan

Susan Fischer                                e-mail: fischer at mail.rit.edu
NTID/RIT  HLC-2420                   phone: 1-585-475-6558 (v/TTY)
Dept. Of  Research                        fax: 1-585-475-7101
96 Lomb Memorial Drive              web: http://www.rit.edu/~sdfncr
Rochester, NY 14623-5604           (under perpetual construction!!)