Words/signs deriving from the same stem

Nicole Kuplenik nicole.kuplenik at GUEST.ARNES.SI
Wed Mar 27 15:37:32 UTC 2002

I have a problem regarding signs deriving from the same stem: how are they assessed in SLs? The usual definiton (for spoken languages) is "words, derived from the same root stem and bearing a similar/related meaning". In SLs, is it assessed by the sign stem, which can/could be found in the dez/sig/tab, (e.g. TRAVEL and TRIP which in Slovenian SL share the same dez and tab, but differ in sig; the meaning is more or less different), or by the meaning (e.g. DOCTOR, HEALTH/HEALING, MEDICINE, which are related in meaning and derived from the same stem in Slovenian spoken language, whereas in Slovenian SL, the signs differ very much in dez/sig/tab)?

Looking forward to any answers ...

Nicole Kuplenik

PS: Where do I find SL-Ling Archives? They've got deleted from my favourites ... Help!