Phonology of numerals

Christian Rathmann rathmann at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue May 14 22:07:29 UTC 2002

Adam and Carol,

The way I see it, these numerals seem to violate Battison's constraint in the
same way the ASL signs SHOW, HELP, and LEAD seem to violate it. SHOW uses the 5
handshape for the nondominant hand and the index finger for the dominant hand,
and the index finger contacts the 5 hand on the palm. The two hands then move
together as a unit. Similarly, the two hands in the BSL numerals seem to work
together as a unit as well, based on Adam's description. Even though the two
hands may not necessarily touch each other, they still function as a unit. The
nondominant hand remains unmarked, and it continues to follow the movement of
the dominant hand, so in that sense, the sign obeys the Dominance Condition.

Many DGS signs involving the numerals 6 through 9 (e.g. 6-9, 16-19, 26-29, etc.)
similarly use the two hands, with the nondominant hand appearing in the 5
handshape, which is unmarked and copies the movement of the dominant hand. The
crucial point here is that dominance cannot be switched in these signs, i.e.
the nondominant hand cannot appear in the handshape for 6 while the dominant
hand appears in the 5 handshape. This is further supported by the DGS sign for,
e.g., 69. First the sign is made for '9' which has the dominant hand in the 4
handshape and the nondominant hand in the 5 handshape. Next, the hands twist
and form the sign for '6': the dominant hand is in the A-thumb handshape while
the nondominant hand is in the 5 handshape. Note that throughout both parts of
the sign, the nondominant hand remains in the unmarked handshape of 5.

The above suggests to me that these kinds of signs remain single two-handed
signs (where the two hands work together as a unit when some morphological
process is applied to them), and not as two one-handed signs. While they may
seem to be exceptions, they actually prove the rule, i.e. Battison~'s Dominance
Condition.

Christian