big, small, tall, short

victoria nyst victorianyst at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 27 13:41:42 UTC 2002

Thanks for your reaction-sorry for mine being late. Interesting to hear that
Auslan does have referent-independent or fixed signs to indicate such sizes.
I have checked with several deaf and hearing researchers here who are
working on SLN, but we could not find a sign for small that could be
combined both with, say, mouse and car (unless you are talking about a
miniature car for children to play with). It would definitely be interesting
to see how the distribution of reference-(in)dependent signs for size is
cross-sign-linguistically.
Bye, Victoria