A question for speakers/writers of Japanese and Chinese

Grushkin, Donald A. grushkind at CSUS.EDU
Wed Oct 2 15:46:09 UTC 2002

I am aware that written Japanese, and apparently Chinese as well has two or
three systems for writing, the idiographic Kanji/Hanji, the syllabic Kana &
Katakana and the alphabetic Pinyin and Zhu-Yin-Fu-Hao (in Taiwan) and that
the syllabic and alphabetic forms are often used as a tool to teach literacy
in the idiographic forms, which are the standard, "adult" form (in my
understanding).

What I would like to know is whether the Kanji/Hanji and
Katakana/Pinyin/Zhu-Yin-Fu-Hao are ever mixed within a written text by adult
writers (I have found sources that state this is ok for children who have
not yet learned the proper form in Kanji/Hanji).  If so, what are the
textual/discourse "rules" for doing so?  I am not requesting specific
references or research-based knowledge; a general "gut sense" will do.

You may reply directly to me at: GrushkinD at CSUS.Edu.

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Donald A. Grushkin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor/Coordinator, ASL Program
Eureka Hall Rm. 312 (Campus Zip # 6079)
California State University, Sacramento 95819
(916) 278-6622 Voice; 278-3465 TTY