Fwd: Question for the Weakest Link game show

Niki Lamproplos nsl at ICUBED.COM
Fri Oct 25 04:21:43 UTC 2002

The definition of language that I am familiar with is that it is
a rule-governed system which is used to express and perceive
information, has a community of users, possesses infinite
production possibilities, is passed from generation to
generation, and changes over time.  Primates are certainly able
to communicate - as are all animals - but even when years are
spent teaching them signs, they are not able to incorporate
grammatical rules, teach younger primates, etc.  The key missing
link is that primates do not develop syntax. Washoe, Koko, and
Nim Chimpsky used symbols to communicate, but did so without
rules.  Their abilities are easily attributed to training.

Niki Lamproplos

On 10/24/2002 at 8:02 PM Kelly Stack wrote:

>Dear Mr. Eilenberg,
>
>I am copying your message to the Sign Language Linguistics
email list,
>which is a discussion list for issues regarding the linguistics
of signed
>languages.  I am hoping some of my colleagues may be able to
add to the
>discussion.
>
>Sticking strictly to the questions you asked, it would not be
correct to
>say that someone who has been taught American Sign Language has
been taught
>English.  That would be similar to saying that if someone is
taught French,
>they have also been taught Chinese.  As to your second
question, although
>American Sign Language has been referred to in the past with
other names, I
>would say that most contemporary researchers refer to it as
American Sign
>Language or ASL.
>
>Your first question assumes that it is possible to teach a
natural human
>language to a non-human.  There is no evidence that I am aware
of that any
>non-human has ever mastered a human language, including both
spoken and
>signed languages.  Therefore, to say that a primate has learned
American
>Sign Language would be (in my opinion) a gross misstatement of
fact, and
>would also be insulting to the human beings who use ASL in
their daily
>interactions.
>
>In my opinion (and I hope my colleagues will offer their own
opinions),
>primates such as the ones you refer to have learned a symbol
system that is
>nowhere near as complex and powerful as human language.  I wish
people who
>have poured their resources and energies into teaching primates
>communicative gestures would have instead devoted themselves to
finding out
>more about the native communicative abilities of animals, or to
finding out
>more about how humans acquire human languages.
>
>Given that the question you want to ask would promote further
>misunderstanding of ASL and its status as a natural human
language, I would
>like to ask you to consider NOT asking the question about
primates, and
>instead asking some other question, such as:
>
>- Given that the left side of the brain controls language and
the right
>side controls spatial perception, which side of the brain do
Deaf people
>use for sign language?  (studies show it is the left side)
>- Is sign language a universal language?  (No; there are
hundreds, perhaps
>thousands, of different sign languages that are mutually
unintelligible.)
>- If you have trouble learning languages, should you try to
learn American
>Sign Language?  (if you have trouble with spoken languages
chances are
>you'll have trouble with signed languages too)
>- Can all Deaf people read lips?  (no)
>
>I hope this has been helpful.
>
>--Kelly Stack

>>From: "Ben Eilenberg" <beilenberg at weakestlinktv.com>
>>To: <stack at ucla.edu>
>>Subject: Question for the Weakest Link game show
>>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:27:01 -0700
>>
>>Dear Professor Stack,
>>
>>My name is Ben Eilenberg, and I am a researcher for the
Weakest Link game
>>show.  We are researching a question involving American Sign
Language, and I
>>was hoping that I could consult with you about its content.
Basically, we
>>are asking a question about the primates that have been taught
American Sign
>>Language at Washington State's Chimpanzee and Human
Communication Institute,
>>and the issue raised during our read-through was whether that
means that
>>they have been taught English.
>>
>>I will admit that I am uncertain what the answer is.  I was
hoping that you
>>could answer two questions for us:
>>
>>1.  If somebody has only been taught American Sign Language,
is it at all
>>correct to say that they have been taught English?
>>2.  Are there any other official names for American Sign
Language?