Q: field methods human subjects

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Wed Aug 20 13:56:00 UTC 2003

Of course, being a Norwegian I cannot answer for the rules of the USA.
But during my research, I've had to get a special permission from the
National Privacy authority, I've had to get written permissons beforehand
from the human subjects, and I've had to destroy the original tapes. This
was when I was connected to the University of Bergen.

Now I am employed by a National Resource Center for Deaf Education. We do
have a permisson from the aforementioned authority to make vidotapes,
provided the subject or the warden of the subject (if it is a child) has
given written consent. These tapes we are permitted to use for research
under strict rules, and for courses also under strict rules, and with
written agreement from the persons taking part in these courses that they
will not reveal any personal or private information.

As you say you will be using one person who uses a SL that is not ASL,
that person could be shy of showing his or her SL utterances, and could
naturally be afraid that someone might  bring back to his or her own SL
community what has been said - even it this someone has misunderstood or
do not remember correctly. The satndings of the SLs of the world, and of
the Deaf communities, is still so shaky that every precaution should be
taken to avoid a 'blemish' on a deaf signer's reputation with his or her
own community.

Therefore, the students should be 'sworn to secrecy',  that is, they
should not use the material as 'this is how this particular SL is, because
NN (name of subject) told us so'. They should learn that this is one way
that this SL can be used, and is used by this one person, who is presently
in an ASL environment and may be confused because of that.

Best of luck with your course,

Ingvild Roald,
Bergen, Norway