VS: To include or not include?

Malm Anja Anja.Malm at KL-DEAF.FI
Fri Jan 24 11:16:36 UTC 2003

Dear Donald,

First of all, I would like to wish you all the best in your effort.
Compiling a comprehensive dictionary is a lot of work. I was part of the
Finnish team that produced a Finnish Sign Language - Finnish dictionary,
completed in 1998.

You said that you are aiming to compile a comprehensive dictionary. No
matter how large a dictionary is the editor always has to define someway the
lexicon to be included. If your dictionary is going to be a general
dictionary, you might want to exclude e.g. special field terminologies,
dialectal (regional) signs, or slang signs. Or just include a limited choice
from these special languages.

But otherwise I would say, go ahead. If your aim is to describe the lexicon
of ASL, you would include also the "dirty" signs. I have never heard anybody
criticizing comprehensive spoken language dictionaries for including such
vocabulary. The dictionaries do label them as informal, colloquial, slang,
vulgar, offensive etc., but they are there.

Besides, parents and teachers do need terminology when discussing sex and
drugs with Deaf youngsters.

Wishing you all the best with your dictionary project,

Anja Malm

Anja Malm
Head of research and lexicography
Finnish Association of the Deaf