Word Order at the Workshop on Sign Linguistics, February 2004

Allen Gardner gardner at UNR.EDU
Fri Jul 11 06:35:45 UTC 2003

Recent remarks to this list by Slobin, Wilbur, and Vermeerbergen
[attached] stress the subtleties and difficulties of studying
sign order or word order in any language, particularly in face to face
discourse.  How enhartening.  Does anyone here remember the extravagant
claims for word order in child speech that appeared in the early days
of the Chomskyite revolution.  The memory remains raw and poignant for
me because claims of virtually perfect word order in child speech were
the sole argument of most criticisms of our reports of chimpanzees
developing sign language.

The following by Roger Brown

    [1970, The first sentences of child and chimpanzee. R. Brown
    (Ed.), Selected Psycholinguistic Papers. New York: Macmillan]

was a distinguished, influential, and typical response of linguistic
commentators of the time.

    [referring to a personal communication proposing an empirical
    test, Brown responds]
      It is going to be interesting to learn the outcome of the
    Gardners' planned frequency comparisons.  It must be said,
    however that children show something much stronger than a
    statistical preference for correct order.  In the full data
    of Table 8-2 [samples of child discourse] violations of order
    are very uncommon; probably fewer than 100 violations in the
    thousands of utterances quoted.  It is definitely not the
    case that all possible orders of a combination typically
    occur; they practically never do. (p.227)

If we say that "thousands" should refer to a minimum of 2,000
observations, then Brown claimed here that toddlers make less than
half of one percent errors of word order.

At the time, Beatrix Gardner and I were sure that such extravagant and
obviously unverifiable claims would make laughing stocks of colleagues
who made them.  Obviously, they judged the audience much more astutely
than we.  Long ago the lack of something called "grammar" or "syntax"
in the early utterances of cross-fostered chimpanzees became the stock
textbook blurb on the topic.  Mentions of actual observations have
been very rare, discussions of evidence even more rare.

On the evidence of this list, however, sign language studies seem to
have matured to the point where they recognize profound difficulties
which must be overcome.  I cannot help hoping that some brave new
student will re-open the question of perfect "grammar" in human beings
and perfect absence of "grammar" in any nonhuman being.

Much more extensive studies of Washoe, as well as Moja, Pili, Tatu,
and Dar who were cross-fostered from birth have appeared since 1970.
I would be glad to furnish bibliographies and reprints

Allen Gardner
University of Nevada/296
Reno NV 89557
Voice 775-784-6828 ext 2024