FW: [News article] Sign language demanded for deaf students

Gladys Tang (MLC) gtang at ARTS.CUHK.EDU.HK
Mon Jul 21 07:08:36 UTC 2003

Dear James and Daisuke,

The situation in HK is definitely worse because parents do not have the
awareness of the benefit of using sign language in deaf education. There
isn't a centre to help parents pick up sign language and to train them how
to communicate with their children through sign language. There isn't a
school that promotes the use of sign language in regular teaching.
Principals of deaf schools claim sign language is dying out in HK and CI
plus integration is the ultimate answer to deaf education.

Gladys
Chinese University of Hong Kong

-----Original Message-----
From: James T. Myers
To: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Sent: 7/21/03 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: [News article] Sign language demanded for deaf students

The situation in Japan seems to be pretty much the same as in Taiwan.
In
fact, it's probably better -- I haven't heard of any legal case even
being
attempted in Taiwan.  The most I could find in a search of the English
newspaper "Taipei Times" on sign language was this story about a city
councilor demanding more sign interpreters for adults:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2002/04/16/132021

And this highly suspicious story about a group that "teaches" deaf kids
"hear":

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2001/08/06/97384

James Myers
Graduate Institute of Linguistics