Recognition of sign languages

G Sapountzaki, Deaf Studies Galini.Sapountzaki at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Thu Jun 26 17:22:30 UTC 2003

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply,
yes, Greek Sign Language was recognised as the official language of the
Deaf by Greek legislation in March 1999. This led to a great number of
changes in practice, but formally the Law was passed as part of Special
Education Legislation, so maybe there are more steps to be taken for
complete recognition of Greek Sign Language.

Galini Sapountzaki

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:37:46 -0500 daisuke at YAHOO.COM wrote:

> Hello.
>
> U.K. and Mexico recently recognized their sign languages as languages for the
> deaf, and my colleague in Japan wants to know the latest information regarding
> what sign languages have been legally recognized as languages for the deaf or
> as national sign languages.
>
> He has found an article by Verena Krausneker (reported at the EUD Celebratory
> Conference in April, 2000) at the following site:
>
> http://www.ea.nl/EUDmail/v.krausneker.htm
>
> 15 countries are included in the list, and 5 more are mentioned in the text.
>
> His questions are:
>
> 1) Is there any other SL that has been legally recognized as the national sign
> language?
>
> 2) Is there a more complete, recent list or report regarding SLs that have been
> legally recognized as national sign languages?  According to him, the WFD site
> doesn't give such information.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Daisuke

G Sapountzaki, Deaf Studies