Word Order at the Workshop on Sign Linguistics, February 2004

Ronnie Wilbur wilbur at OMNI.CC.PURDUE.EDU
Sun Jun 29 22:20:03 UTC 2003

I agree with Dan that it takes discourse studies as well as sentences, but I
think to truly understand a language's word order, it is also necessary to
understand (at minimum) the interaction with negation, modals, previously
established referents vs. out-of-the-blue referents, verb agreement, possibly
definiteness and/or animacy of argument(s), and question formation. And that's
without classifiers.

In addition, unless you know what is NOT grammatical, you can never be really
sure.

At 11:21 AM 06/24/2003 , you wrote:

> This is a great idea--but I'd be cautious about the role of word order in
> signed languages--and in all languages where there is considerable
> flexibility in word order for pragmatic purposes.  Decontextualized picture
> descriptions are of limited use in studying this issue.  For example,
> although SOV is the preferred order for such descriptions in Turkish, less
> than half of utterances in discourse are SOV.  So it's good that you include
> discourse studies as well.  But, in regard to word order, most of the topics
> you suggest are not directly concerned with word order--unless you mean also
> to include any ordering of elements within constructions, in addition to the
> ordering of lexical items in utterances.  I also find it strange that a
> proposal to examine word oder makes no mention of subject/object,
> topic/comment, focus, etc.  The proposal needs more clarity in defining a
> specific topic that is precise enough to allow for comparable examination of
> several sign languages.
>
> Dan Slobin
> University of California, Berkeley
>

> At 04:42 PM 6/24/2003 +0200, Myriam Vermeerbergen wrote:
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> We would like to try to form a group to prepare a joint contribution on the
>> topic of word order for the "Sign Languages: A cross-linguistic
>> perspective"-workshop (see Call for Abstracts below). Our objective would be
>> to compare as many as possible different studies where word order is
>> analysed both:
>> -in declarative sentences elicited by the use of the drawings designed by
>> Volterra and her colleagues (1) AND
>> -in spontaneous sign language data.
>>
>> If you have been studying word order or would like to do so and would be
>> willing to co-operate, please let us know as soon as possible. Abstracts for
>> the workshop have to be submitted by the end of July so there is not that
>> much time. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Lorraine Leeson and Myriam Vermeerbergen
>>
>> (1) Italian Sign Language: The Order of Elements in the Declarative
>> Sentence. In: Loncke, F., Boyes-Braem, P. & Lebrun, Y. (Eds.) 1984. Recent
>> Research on European Sign Languages. Lisse: Swetz & Zeitlinger. p. 19-48.
>>

>>> Call for abstracts
>>

>>> We hereby invite the submission of abstracts for a workshop on
>>>
>>> “Sign Languages: A cross-linguistic perspective”
>>

>>> to be held at the Annual Meeting of the German Linguistic Society (DGfS)
>>> 2004.
>>>

>>> Location: Mainz (Germany)
>>> Date: February 25-27, 2004.
>>> Organizers:     Pamela Perniss (MPI Nijmegen)
>>>        Roland Pfau (University of Amsterdam)
>>>
>>> Call deadline: July 31st, 2003
>>>

>>> Goal of the workshop
>>> The goal of the workshop is to bring together sign researchers who conduct
>>> comparative research on grammatical phenomena in different sign languages
>>> in order to investigate and discuss typological variation across sign
> [...]

Ronnie B. Wilbur, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Linguistics
School of Liberal Arts
Purdue University