Is Sign Language a Language?

Philocophus Philocophus at PHILOCOPHUS.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat May 3 11:23:55 UTC 2003

I thank you for your response, but have one small query. Is there a difference between the terms
"sign language" and "signed language" which you use? If so, what is the difference from a linguist's
persective?

I thought "signed language" referd to something like "signed English" whereas "sign language" refers
to the sign language as used by the Deaf. Imay be wrong.

Raymond Lee

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Geoffrey Hunt
  To: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
  Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 11:54 AM
  Subject: Re: Is Sign Language a Language?

  I am new to this list, but I am writing as a linguist interested in signed languages.  While it is
true that British Sign Language is not based on sounds, and while it is true that it is unrelated to
(spoken) English, it nevertheless has many of the characteristics of a language.

  Its gestures can be emically analysed in the same way that phones can be phonemically analalysed.
It has units that are similar to words in that they represent a semantic concept.  Its syntax can be
analyzed in a similar way to the syntax of spoken language.  Its discourse structure can be analysed
in a similar way to the discourse of a spoken language.  Different signed languages can be compared
for mutual intelligibility as can spoken languages.  Signed languages relate to particular cultures,
just as spoken languages do.

  But above everything else, signed languages are used to communicate complex meaning, just as
spoken languages do.  Therefore I have no hesitation in using the term language in its fullest sense
about signed languages.

  Geoffrey Hunt