Is Sign Language a Language?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun May 4 02:21:14 UTC 2003

        [Raymond Lee:]
#I thought "signed language" referd to something like "signed English"
#whereas "sign language" refers to the sign language as used by the
#Deaf. Imay be wrong.

        [Geoffrey Hunt:]
#For any substantive argument on usage of the two alternatives I would
#have to defer to others.  You may be right in what you say in your
#second paragraph, I just do not know.  Personally, I prefer 'signed
#language' as it parallels more clearly with 'spoken language' ('sign
#language' would parallel 'speech language').

But in actual English usage "sign language" is already well established.
I have only ever seen "signed language(s)" used by sign linguists,
including myself; and as far as I can recall, I only use it in contrast
to "spoken language(s)", when focusing on the contrast in medium.

I have never been aware of such a distinction as Mr. Lee has inferred,
though I can see how he could have reached that conclusion.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania

#
#Geoffrey
#