BSL isn't English. response 2

Nobukatsu Minoura nobum at GOL.COM
Tue May 13 10:33:56 UTC 2003

Dear Paulette, Raymond, and other colleagues,

Sign languages do have double articulation like spoken languages.  By the
way, when Andre Martinet suggested double articulation first, the first
articulation was the articulation corresponding to "ideas," which are
materialized by morphemes (in non-French context) or by words.  The second
articulation was that of phonemes.  It seems like Paulette learned them the
other way around.

Not all sign linguists have agreed on whether sign languages have vowels,
consonants, or even syllables.  But sign languages do have phonemes as well
as morphemes and words.  Our pioneer, William Stokoe avoided the term
"phonemes" for ASL in the beginning.  But since we, sign linguists got to
know that sign language phonology has so much in common with the phonology
of spoken languages, like the application of phonological rules etc., we
call them _phonemes_ now.

What are the phonemes of sign languages?

Not all sign linguists have agreed on that either.  As for myself, phonemes
that are put together to form a sign consist at least of a hand shape, an
orientation, a location, and a movement.  If you want to go more precisely,
you can add some other components as phonemes.  And it might be too
simplistic to call a movement a phoneme.

A Japanese Sign Language (JSL) sign can consist of a single morpheme, which
in turn consists of the above-mentioned phonemes.  E.g. The JSL sign for WIN
is made with a fist (hand shape), the tip of the limb pointing up
(orientation), in the right space of the signer's head (location), with a
short single movement forward (movement).

Some other JSL signs consist of more than one morpheme.  E.g. The verb FALL
for an apple is made with an open hand with the thumb and fingers slightly
bent (hand shape), the tip of the limb pointing diagonally up and front and
the palm facing up, left, and inward (orientation), starting in the right
space of the signer (location), with a long downward movement (movement).
When the hand shape and the orientation are replaced by the hand shape of
the I-LOVE-YOU sign in ASL pointing front and the palm facing down, it
becomes the verb FALL for an airplane.  Thus at least you can analyze that
the hand shapes (together with the orientations) of the first FALL and the
second FALL are morphemes encoding some nominal meanings, namely a round
object and an airplane respectively.  The rest (i.e. location and movement)
encodes some verbal meaning, namely FALL.  These are only a few examples of
so-called classifiers which are sometimes called polymorphemic signs.

BSL may not work exactly in the same manners as JSL, but I am sure that JSL
and BSL have a lot of similarity.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Nobukatsu "Nobu" Minoura
General Linguistics