Double Articulation

Adrean Clark creative at THETACTILEMIND.COM
Tue May 13 21:53:20 UTC 2003

I've been following this topic for a bit - fascinating discussion.

One question I have - when you refer to iconic signs, you refer to
signs that directly correspond to a "universal" picture, and when you
refer to arbitrary, it's signs that don't directly correspond to the
"universal" picture?

 From what I know ASL itself is a very arbitrary language.  Historically
sign languages were called the "natural language" - people believed it
was universal.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but If ASL was totally iconic, a total ASL
illiterate could walk in and start understanding everything.  But this
isn't the case - ASL is not iconic or a "mime" language.  It's
arbitrary.  Like "mother, mama" is nearly universal, but
"antidisestablishmentarianism" isn't.

Caswell's arguments seem to be a throwback to the oralism vs. manualism
era.  Both sides of the debate hurled arguments at each other - one of
them were that humans are not human unless they speak, another was that
sign preceded speech, and is universal.

Looks like we won't see the end of it, but we HAVE proven that SL is a
language in its own right.

Adrean