"Air quotes"?

Scott Liddell scott.liddell at GALLAUDET.EDU
Wed May 14 17:03:43 UTC 2003

My understanding of the sign (which I gloss as QUOTE) is that one of
its major uses is to identify non-standard or novel use of signs.  My
recent book illustrates two uses by native signers.  In one case the
signer marks an extended use of the sign LIVE to mean 'still in touch
with'.  In another example a native signer uses QUOTE to mark a novel
use of spatial depiction.
Scott Liddell

p.s.  In general I don't use "air" as part of ASL glosses:
AIR-CELEBRATE, AIR-THING, etc.    ;-)