"Air quotes"?

Rachel McKee Rachel.McKee at VUW.AC.NZ
Wed May 14 22:00:34 UTC 2003

In my PhD dissertation on Footing Shifts in ASL Lectures ( Rachel Locker McKee, 1992, UCLA), - section 3.7- I describe this usage as a metalinguistic framing device to mark a forthcoming utterance as originating from another speaker, and as something 'other than ASL' in form.  I have glossed the sign as QUOTE.

        Rachel McKee