What are you teaching in your "sign linguistics" course?

daisuke@yahoo.com daisuke at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 4 10:12:29 UTC 2003

Dear all,

I need some insightful ideas from sign linguists here in the list.  I am going to
teach a course of sign linguistics in the next term (January-April, 2004;
supervised by Prof. Gladys Tang), and I am still wondering what kind of things
should be covered in the course and what textbook(s), papers, and/or reading
materials I should use for the course.  The course is for our M.A. linguistics
students, and most of them do not know anything about sign languages, sign
linguistics, Deaf culture, and other related issues.

I think that many of you are/have been teaching such courses, and I am very
curious about what you are teaching.  Would you help me tell me (or us) what
kinds of topic you cover, what textbooks/papers/reading materials you use for
each topic, and so on?

I think that your responses will be a great resource in teaching sign
linguistics, and that they will benefit many of us, including me.

I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly let me know the syllabus/syllabi of
your course(s), by sending them to me directly or to the list.  Ones that are
sent to me will be shared with you to the list, once I could get consent to
disclose it to the list.

Thank you very much in advance.

Daisuke Sasaki
Visiting Scholar, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Ph.D. candidate of linguistics, The University of Texas at Austin