What are you teaching in your "sign linguistics" course?

James MacFarlane jmacfarl at UNM.EDU
Wed Nov 5 11:58:35 UTC 2003

Hello Daisuke,

Thanks for bringing this issue to the list.  I look forward to hearing your
summary, it will certainly benefit me too.

This semester is my first time teaching most of these topics too. In my
experience this semester, students really enjoyed learning the issues
surrounding the phonological structure of signs.  The whole issue of
Stokoe's sequential analysis compared to Liddell & Johnson's segmental
analysis of signs makes for a really good discussion.

Readings for this topic might include portions of Stokoe's DASL and portions
of Liddell & Johnson's "ASL: The Phonological Base".

Hope this is useful & best wishes with your new course,