Q: Classic terminology/methods? A: Why not?

Dan I. Slobin slobin at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 6 03:56:05 UTC 2003

Dear Nicole Kuplenik
         That's an important question--and, as you suggest--one that is
influenced by power.  In my opinion, classic linguistic terms cannot be
uncritically applied to sign languages.  I have serious doubts about the
uses of notions such as subject, object, classifier, agreement, and
others.  But as for linguistic methods--these are precisely the methods
that we need in order to determine the structure of sign languages.  It's
not the methods that are a problem, but the direct transfer of categories
of analysis that have been established for (particular) written languages.
         There's been a lot written about these issues--both taking the
position that I've just summarized and taking the opposite
position.  Several recent books are especially relevant:

         Emmorey, K. (Ed.) (2003).  Perspectives on classifier
constructions in sign languages.  Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
         Liddell, S. K. (2003).  Grammar, gesture, and meaning in American
Sign Language.  Cambridge University Press.
         Taub, S. F. (2001).  Language from the body: Iconicity and
metaphor in American Sign Language.  Cambridge               University Press.

If you send me your email address, I can send you some papers from our Sign
Language Research Group at the University of California, Berkeley.

Sincerely,
Dan Slobin
Professor of Psychology