Fwd: Re: Q: Classic terminology/methods? A: Why not?

Sangeeta Bagga-Gupta sangeeta.bagga-gupta at PI.ORU.SE
Mon Oct 6 07:05:15 UTC 2003

I agree that there is a need to be critical in transferring terminology
from the analysis of spoken languages to the analysis of signed languages.
This perhaps is particularly true in the case of sociolinguistic analysis
of SL's (Ceil Lucas's intro to the 2001 vol of "The socioling of SL's" -
edited by C Lucas, pub Cambridge Univ Press discusses this interestingly).
For instance, there appears to be some amount of confusion when we transfer
concepts like "code-switching" and even "bilingualism" when discussing
people's uses of ASL-English or SSL-Swedish (and what about people's use of
ASL-SSL!). Thick descriptions of language behaviour by Carol Padden,  Carol
Erting, and others, including my own work, have given rise to more grounded
concepts like "linking" and different types of "chaining" that attend to
the complexities that arise in visually oriented environments.

Sangeeta